1 Corinthian Series #2
"Calling On The Name Of The Lord" - 1 Cor. 1:2
1. Different groups have different terms they use that identify them as a group
2. See that in different nations that speak the same language
a. English and Americans
1) line / queue
2) mail / post
3) elevator / lift
b. even Canadians and Americans
3. Within our own country, groups have their own terms
a. teens: fresh, dweeb, biscuit, muffin
4. Christians have their own "in-house" terms too
a. salvation, redemption, sanctification
b. born again, Spirit-filled
5. But there is one term that defines us
6. We find it in 1 Cor. 1
B. Last Week
1. First 9 verses
2. A greeting
3. Lays down foundation of all that follows
1. Paul says something in v. 2 that bears a closer look than we were able to take last week
2. In a simple phrase he tells us what it means to be a Christian
A. V. 2
 To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all who in every place call on the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:
1. This was a letter written to the Church at Corinth
2. But Paul wanted them to remember that they were a part of a bigger community = all believers
3. So, he writes “with all who in every place call on the name of Jesus Christ our Lord,”
B. Early Names
1. Today - the followers of Christ are most commonly called “Christians”
2. That label is used only once in the NT, and it wasn’t a compliment
3. Used by the critics of the followers of Christ in the city of Antioch
a. it was a jeer, a sarcastic put-down
b. it was well known that “Christ” had died a shameful death on a Roman cross
c. to call someone a “Christian” was to identify them with that shame
d. it is unlikely that the people of the early church called themselves “Christians.”
4. In the NT, several labels are given for the early followers of Christ:
d. people of the Way
e. sect of the Nazarenes
5. But one of the titles they seemed most fond of was “those who call on the name of the Lord.”
a. Ananias in Damascus
b. Acts 9:14 "And here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on Your name."
b. Acts 9:21 Then all who heard were amazed, and said, "Is this not he who destroyed those who called on this name in Jerusalem, and has come here for that purpose, so that he might bring them bound to the chief priests?"
6. Much is revealed in this label - I want us to take a close look at it today
7. What does it mean to call on the name of the Lord?
C. First: It Means To Worship Him.
1. These were Jews
2. In OT = The Lord meant Yahweh, their covenant-God.
3. Now, as believers, The Lord meant Jesus Christ
a. some today argue over the deity of Christ
b. no doubt among these first Christians
c. Jesus was Yahweh!
4. The first sermon; Acts 2, Peter
a. he quoted the prophet Joel
b. in vs. 21 he said, “Whoever calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
c. then in v. 36 he says that Jesus Christ is the Lord.
5. In Corinth, many temples, idols, gods
a. everyone worshipped something
b. they would call on the name of their god
c. the Christians called on the name of Jesus
d. they were marked, identified by the God they worshipped, esteemed, honored, adored
6. Today, there are many gods that men worship
a. their temples are the movie theaters and video stores, or the sports arenas and concert auditoriums.
b. their idols are displayed in posters on glossy paper and placed on the walls of their homes
c. the worship they give is their applause and undivided attention
d. the sacrifice they offer to their gods are the price of a ticket or the endorsement they provide by purchasing the products their god sells.
e. modern man is every bit as religious as his ancient cousin - he has simply become more refined in his expression
7. As the followers of Christ who live, not in Corinth, but in Ventura County, we must be known as those who call on the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, in adoration, worship, and praise.
D. Second: It Means To Look To Him For Help
1. Notice Paul’s choice of words here
2. We call on the name of Jesus Christ our Lord.
3. We call on JESUS
a. a common name
b. marks Him as a man
c. we have already affirmed His deity
d. must not forget His humanity
e. He is able to identify with us
f. He knows our frame because He has worn it
g. Hebrews 2:17-18 In all things [Christ] had to be made like His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God . . . For in that He Himself has suffered, being tempted, He is able to aid those who are tempted.
h. when we call on Him, we can be confident He is intimately in touch with our needs and cares for us a a brother
4. We call on CHRIST
a. some think “Jesus” is His first name and “Christ” is His last name
b. “Jesus” is His name, “Christ” is His title
c. Christ - Messiah; the anointed one
d. the one in whom all the plans and purposes of God are complete
e. all that God has for us is found in Christ
f. Christ is sufficient for us, and every situation.
1) 2 Peter 1:3 His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue,
2) 1 Corinthians 1:30 You are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God; and righteousness and sanctification and redemption;
3) 2 Corinthians 12:9 He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness."
4) Colossians 2:9-10 For in [Christ] dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily; and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power.
g. my great concern is that we are being led away from the sufficiency of Christ by the seducing voices of those who would try to make a buck off us while hiding behind the facade of wanting to help us deal with our problems.
h. Christians are being bombarded with the message that Christ is NOT enough; that they need more to live successfully.
1) they are encouraged to call on the name of the Lord and Freud, Jung. Rogers, Maslow
2) they are told to call on the name of Christ and psychotherapy
i. quote Screwtape Letters, Pg. 115-6
h. beware of anything that would seek to ursup the place of the name of Christ
E. To Sum It All Up
1. Colossians 3:17 And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.
2. Our uprising, our downsitting
Our going out, our coming in
Our working, our recreation
Our family, our friends
The church, the world
Whatever we do, it is to be done in the name of the Lord, calling on Jesus Christ our Lord in all things
3. His name is our stamp & seal
4. Our banner, our motto
A. The Privilege Of Calling On His Name
Philippians 2:9-11 God has highly exalted [Christ] and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
B. There Is No Other Name Given For Salvation
Acts 4:12 "There is no salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved."